Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Writing prompt - "What's in Front of You"

Write what's in front of your face. Begin with the most ordinary. If something not in front of you comes to mind, jot it down. Try it. Ten minutes.

Directly in front of my face is my computer. A new laptop, though only new to me. A pink flash drive is in one of the USB ports, and I mean pink. I named it Galinda. On my right is my sewing machine. I can't believe I've had it for a full year now. I got it for Christmas last year and I've put a lot of miles on it since then. Lots of quilts, lots of other crafty projects. It was the kind of gift that could have sat prettily on a table or desk but instead, I've made it an indispensable and favorite tool. I love that.

On my left is the book of writing prompts held open to this prompt with a pair of red-handled scissors. Under the book are two spreadsheets from work and lots of paper scraps and strips. I've finally been working on our wedding photo album and I decided to use the cards we got from our wedding to decorate the pages with more than just pictures. (I got the idea from my sister-in-law Chelsea.)

Around the laptop on my white desk there is tape, adhesive squares, a glue stick, two (more) pairs of scissors, bobby pins, two pens, some ribbon, and a round tub of white citrus body butter. There is a box of scrapbooking markers and a plastic case of my sewing supplies leaning up against my cutting mat, which is leaning up against our blue couch. My friend Jen burned me a copy of a new Marianas Trench album and it's on top of the clear plastic case.

And just peeking from behind my laptop is a jumbled stack of Everything Else - games, papers, a notepad, my old writing journal, a photo envelope, a few wedding cards, and more tape. Normally I like a clean working space but there's something I really enjoy about the desk I see in front of me. It's in process. Beyond it, there are quilt squares waiting to be sewn, rice bags waiting to be filled with rice, and two bins full of material and crafting supplies. It all speaks to the possibility of making something new, of creation, of discovery. Instead of wanting to clean it up, I want to work with it. I love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment